Photowalk: 4 August 2019
For our August photowalk we will be heading south to the Mornington Peninsula, visiting a couple of beaches and hoping for a nice sunset!
We will start at Blairgowrie Marina and beach (see below for exact meeting point) with time to explore the foreshore reserve, beach, pier, boats and beach boxes.
We will then drive onto Cape Schanck Lighthouse Reserve (25-30 min drive). On arrival meet in the carpark then explore the area including the Lighthouse tower and museum (access to this area closes at 6pm, the wider reserve is still accessible). Follow the walking tracks to the boardwalk above the rocks and see Pulpit Rock and spectacular basalt cliffs. Note that sunset will be at 5.34pm, it will get dark quickly after sunset, so ensure you have your torch with you.
Cape Schanck Lighthouse provides spectacular views of the Southern Peninsula coast and Bass Strait. The lighthouse was built from dressed limestone and sandstone and has served shipping since 1859, and is significant because the original mechanisms are still in place and continues to be a working maritime navigation aid for ships approaching Port Phillip.
Casual drinks/dinner will follow at RACV Cape Schanck Resort, 7-10 min drive from the Lighthouse.
After dinner you may wish to return to the Cape Schanck area for Astro photography if there are clear skies after the moon has set. Note that the organised part of the day will be finishing at dinner, Astro is an option for those who may wish to continue on their own.
Weather: as the location is weather dependent, check the Facebook and Meetup events, and MCC website (What’s On calendar photowalk event) for updates on the day if the weather is expected to be particularly rainy or stormy. You may get interesting images if the weather is rainy/stormy.
What to bring:
- Sturdy tripod for sunset shots as the Southerly winds can be strong
- Torch or head torch (preferably with a red light or cellophane wrapped on the torch so that you do not disturb other people’s shots).
- Sturdy walking shoes, some of the boardwalk stairs at Cape Schanck are unsteady and will be slippery if wet.
- Warm clothing and rain gear, as the area is very exposed to southerly winds and rain
- Cable/remote trigger release (or use your timer)
- Spare battery as the cold weather and long exposures can drain batteries quickly
- Spare memory card
- Wide angle lens
- Cape Schanck boardwalk is not disabled friendly
- Don’t forget a torch as It will be very dark returning to the carpark after sunset
All visitors, friends and members of the Melbourne Camera Club are welcome.
Date: Sunday 4 August
Time: 1.45pm for 2.00pm start
Meeting Location: Blairgowrie Marina/Yacht Squadron, 2900 Point Nepean Rd, Blairgowrie
Parking: Note there are 3 carpark areas nearby to choose from
Actual meeting spot: Beach directly next to the main Pier, outside Southern Peninsula Rescue/Scott’s Shed building – this is located to the south of Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron building
Duration: 4 hours, plus dinner
Options prior to meeting: stop for coffee and cake at Blairgowrie Café, 2837 Point Nepean Rd (couple mins drive to first meeting point)
Image: Mark Devaraj @activephotographer